Monday, November 14, 2022

Estes Odyssey #7235 Build, Part 21, Masking That Nose Cone Canopy





I'm jumping around again - The nose cone canopy can be painted before it is tied onto the shock cord.

Here's that nose cone - The mask line indent is a tough mask. 
I think I tried this before - with mixed results.
Narrow strips of Scotch Tape were set around the edge.
I used my fingernail to press a crease into the edge indent.

A sharp X-Acto style blade cut through the tape around the indent line. It doesn't take much pressure on the blade to cut through just the tape.



The peeled off inside tape exposed the canopy for the silver spray paint.

The rest of the nose cone was masked with brown masking tape.

Notice the tape edge lifting on the right side picture.




Left picture: After the tape was lifted, some silver got under the tape and onto the raised border. 

Right side picture: I used a knife to scrape off the excess paint. In a few spots, I scraped off the white paint and down to the plastic underneath.





So -
I sprayed some white in a small cup and brushed on some edge corrections. The Ace Premium Enamel takes touchups well, it blends in without much of a raised edge. 

You might have better luck using some Tamiya tape or simply hand brushing the silver.

No comments:

Post a Comment