Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Estes Super Orbital Transport Build, Kit #7314, Part 8, Wing Tips & Engine Housings



The wingtips are glued on, here shown upside down.

After the glue dries, CWF filler is brushed over the tab/notch seams.
I chose to sand off the tabs and leave the notches filled on the wings. While it's easier to align the engine housing sides using the cut slots, it takes much more work to fill the tabs that usually end up beneath the surface of the open slots. 
Oops! I did run into a problem  - of my own making. I probably sanded off too much!
Sanding down the tabs may have slightly lowered the height of the engine housings. The BT-20 jet tubes wouldn't comfortably fit under the housing assemblies.
I wrapped 400 grit around an engine casing and sanded a very shallow dip in the top surface.


In the picture above - those little dots help me keep track as I assembled three kits. The marked pieces all came off the same balsa sheet. 

The finished look is good. Those subtle dips under the top piece aren't noticeable.

Note the right and left rounded corners of the engine housing.

No comments:

Post a Comment