Thursday, January 13, 2022

Estes Skylab #001973, Build, Part 29, Finally - Decals!

To consistently line up the letters on the fins -
TIP: I traced the fins onto cardstock and cut out a window the size of the letter decal box.
Hold up to a light and trace onto the other side.

I covered the template with clear tape to protect it from water when applying the decals.

PATREON MEMBERS: I have drawn up this fin decal template PDF. This will save you time and give consistent placement of the fin decals on both sides. Home print on cardstock.
If you are a Patreon supporter, email me and request the Skylab Fin Decal Placement PDF.




Here's how the template sat on the fins.
Slide it into the root edge at the fin fairing - look through the window to check the alignment of the decal.




There are some tiny decals!
TIP: If you don't already have one - get a long tweezer to hold onto the small decals while soaking.
You won't want to chase a small decal around the bottom of your soak dish.

TIP: I don't use a drop of dish detergent in my decal soak water.
I had some disagreements with the late Micromeister on different Forum topics. He did bring up an interesting point about decal soaking. He said the dish soap could break down the adhesive on the back of the decal. I agree!





The IIII decal runs into and over the lower launch lug.
You'll have to tuck it into the corner a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment