Saturday, January 15, 2022

Man Does Not Live By Rockets Alone!

With the Corona virus I been staying home, building and kitting a LOT of rockets - and getting a little stir crazy.

I bought a very small camper for some safe escapes! Empty it weighs just 580 lbs. It's really an empty shell with a power strip and an A/C unit on the front.
The fun part - you outfit it yourself!

I built a cot-sized bed (25" x 75") from 3/4" plywood, glued on indoor/outdoor carpeting and structural pipe legs.
The bed is only 8 1/2" above the floor. That still gives me enough room to sit up and not hit the roof. A 4" memory foam mattress will go on top. 
There'll be four storage bins under the two bed halves.
Everything fit well. I can easily slide out the bins for easy access.

There will be some weekend trips around Florida. I might meet up with my Sister when she does an Oklahoma Dog Show. If I like it enough - a cross-country trip to my first home in California!

8 comments:

  1. Nice rig! How’s your Forester do pulling the CoolCamp? We’ve been thinking about a small camping trailer and my Forester would most likely be the primary tow vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      The Forester did well on the 75 mile drive home. Highway mileage went from 34 MPG down to 31 MPG. The Forester can only tow 1,500 lbs. max, this small Runaway Cool Camp weighs just under 600 lbs.
      I had the hitch installed at Subaru. More expensive than a U-Haul installation, but cleaner and factory parts. This Cool Camp is a single person, small empty box with a A/C unit and a power strip inside. A big step above a tent.

      Delete
  2. Hi Chris!:

    That's just COOL! Where are you going to put the workbench?

    Sincerely,
    J.W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JW,
      No workbench - Part of the reason for getting this is to escape some rocketry duties!

      Delete
    2. That's Good! We have to get away sometimes, even from our hobbies!

      Sincerely,
      J.W.

      Delete
  3. 3/4" plywood? That must have cost what the camper cost. To rich for my blood. 😂😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Metal,
      Not having bought any plywood for years - I had nothing to compare it to. The bed platform was about $175 in total for wood, carpet cover, 1 x 4 struts, screws and structural pipe. All cutting was (no extra charge) done at Lowe's.

      Delete
  4. Hi, Chris,
    Nice rig!
    If you happen to be passing through Colorado on your trip to CA, look me up!

    ReplyDelete