Monday, January 24, 2022

Quest/Enerjet Quad Runner Build #Q5016, Part 8, The Paper Mask


The instructions say to use a temporary spray adhesive to hold down the paper mask.
I used a glue stick. It actually worked well, almost too well!

I thought I would use something that could be cleaned up with with a damp paper towel.



The side edges of the paper mask were extended down the sides of the body all the way to the bottom edge of the tube.

The rest of the body was covered with a plastic bag mask. 

This red/white décor reminds me of the old Estes Arcas mask.




After spraying the red, the paper mask was peeled off. Some paper was left.

The right side picture shows the paper bits that were left along the mask edges.
These were removed with a damp paper towel, it did take some work!



Don't worry if your mask lines aren't perfect, the width of the sticker lines should cover it.
 
I was concerned the raised paint mask would show under the sticker border lines.
Some 400 grit sandpaper was wrapped around a Q-Tip to knock down some of the paint ridge.

2 comments:

  1. This takes me back! I had such problems with that mask when I built this rocket a few years ago. Luckily, the stickers covered some bad lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniel,
      I had my doubts about the paper mask, so I sealed it with clear before sticking it to the body tube. It worked - okay. Shown above, removing the small torn off edge of the paper mask took the most effort.

      Delete