Saturday, February 26, 2022

ASP Ram B Build, Part 8, Fin Gluing & White Undercoats

I used a wrap of tape to help line up the fins. 
On the left, the tape wrap helped set the leading edge at the same height on all four fins.

On the right side inset picture - 
A tape wrap helped line up the trailing edge of the upper fins.

OOPS! The engine mount tube should be even with the bottom of the BT-50 tube. Out of habit, I glued it in with 1/4" of the engine mount exposed.


Before spraying the white - 
I pulled out the adapter shoulders and nose cone just a little bit. This allows white paint to get on the shoulders and guarantees full paint coverage when the pieces are slid together after the paint dries.

After the white paint was shot, I noticed some fuzzies on the inside edge of the BT-50 body.
Sometimes I'll wipe some CA glue around the tube edge before gluing in the engine mount. I didn't his time.

If you do seal the inside tube ends before gluing in the mount - keep the CA glue away from the final position of the lower centering ring.


I squeezed out a drop of CA, dipped a toothpick and spread the glue around the inside tube edge.
After the glue dried, the fuzzy threads were carefully sanded with some 400 grit. 

Much better!

2 comments:

  1. That's interesting, I usually leave the rear of the motor mount tube flush with the body. Why let it overhang out the back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      I should have been more specific. It depends on the build.
      If it is a 20/50 engine mount, sometimes that 1/4" extension allows for more engine hook flex.
      I simply read the instructions wrong! There is a reference to the lower fins hanging over the tube by 1/4". That's the measurement that stayed with me.
      I checked some of the display rockets in the "Rocket Room". It's about fifty-fifty. Some engine mount tubes extend out the back, others are flush with the larger airframe tube.

      Delete