Friday, February 25, 2022

My Trip to the Kennedy Space Center

I visited the Kennedy Space Center last Thursday as part of my recent (close to Orlando) camping trip. I haven't been there is over 15 years! Time to see what's new.
This won't be picture after picture of the full size rockets on display. There are plenty of clear Saturn V and Rocket Garden pictures already online. 
I worked at theme parks for 40 years and tend to see these attractions differently than most. I watch guest traffic flow and look for out of the ordinary theming. 
 




Like . . . the floors on the bus that take you to the Saturn V center. They look like 3D craters but are printed flat on a hard mat material.
The Saturn V Center houses the (extra) Saturn V rocket that that was never flown. It sat outdoors for years, exposed to the elements. 
A large hanger was built to refurbish the weathered rocket.

I liked seeing the very sharp corrugated areas. Note the gaps at the root edge of the fairings. This might give you an idea of the "C" decal placement in the kits. 



A few years ago you could actually touch a moon rock. You can still see them, but they are now encased in plastic. With Covid, I doubt you can still kiss the Blarney Stone in Ireland.









Estes Saturn Vs are for sale in one of the gift shops.
The Saturn V Skylab sells for $106.99. 
I didn't see a price of the ARTF plastic Saturn V.
The thousands of tiles covering the Space Shuttle are amazing to see up close. The actual Shuttle Atlantis is on display.

If you go - be sure to do the Shuttle Simulator. This simulator makes you think the building rotates to 90 degrees vertical for "launch". I asked an employee, she said the cabin nose turns up to 67 degrees.


In the Rocket Garden is a full size Delta rocket.
At the base is a black tube shaped just like the Turbine Exhaust on the Thor Agena B.

There are three SRBs on this Delta. The other numbers are placement locations for additional SRBs, nine could be added in total. 
The Kennedy Space Center complex goes all out in theming. This outdoor dining table is an example. Corny, but the kids might find it fun.

Ramps and more ramps! Some attractions require long inclines to enter the buildings from the top. It's not a continuous walk, you stop as the theaters load. My calves and ankles were tired by the end of the day.

Compared to Disney and other Florida attractions, pricing is more reasonable. $10.00 to park your car and a little over $60.00 for admission to the Visitors Center which includes the bus ride to the Saturn V Center.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Chris,
    Thanks for posting these pics. I really like your focus on all the small, subtle details. On my last visit to Disneyland I made it a point to locate and photograph as many "hidden Mickeys" as I could find. Makes for a much more interesting photo album!
    Glad you enjoyed the trip. How did your mini-camper work out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ed,
      The mini-camper worked out great! Small, light and easy to tow. This was my "shake-down" trip trying to figure everything out. I have a new small list of things I'll need to pick up for the next trip.

      Delete