Friday, February 18, 2022

Cursed Build?

Did you ever have a build that seemed cursed?


I think I have built two other Leo Space Trains for Estes. They requested one more build.
Once in a while, kit balsa seems different. I go through my standard filling process and after the white is sprayed, there is still some grain. So, back for more filling.

Notice the lines on the side piece. These are burned into the balsa. 
After brushing on CWF, I drag a knife blade through the wet filler to keep the lines open.
After spraying on filler/primer, a blade is again dragged through the lines.
On this balsa, I had trouble keeping the line width consistent.

That brings up today's adventure. I started masking for the light gray paint.
When turning over the complex wing assembly, I lightly bumped into the table top. 
The rudder broke off! 
This is a complex joint - there is a small triangular balsa reinforcement piece on the other side.
That means some clean gluing and very tight seam refilling.

AAARGH! (not what I really said)
This is not a slam on Estes or the model design. It seems once in a while, a build doesn't go together as planned.
I might have to start again with a new kit just for the wing pieces. I can keep the already painted body tubes and trim pieces. Those are okay - for now!

2 comments:

  1. [shrug] I'm sure that everyone has encountered the occasional "cursed" build where things seem to go wrong. Just remember to NEVER ask the question "what else could go wrong?" -- you're apt to get an answer.
    I suppose it could always be worse -- imagine what it would be like to have situation similar to what's seen in the Gilligan's Island episode "Goodby Island" (season 1, episode 8 - https://gilligan.fandom.com/wiki/Goodbye_Island ) where the Minnow falls apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naoto,
      You're right - Be careful what you ask for!
      I remember that episode of Gilligan's Island and the music they played when things were going wrong.

      Delete