Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Centuri Quasar Clone Build, Kit #KC-7, Part 11, The Baffle

I didn't have a Centuri style Baffle, shown on the right side instruction drawing.
I did have a Semroc baffle that fits a ST-16 tube, very close to the diameter of the Estes BT-60. The baffle was assembled years ago and sat in the spare parts drawer just waiting for this build. It only required some sanding of the end rings to fit the BT-60 tube I used on the build.

On this baffle, the ejection gases enter up through the central hole in the lower ring. The gasses then pass through holes in the bottom of the "cone" turn and go up through the holes in the upper ring. 

A Kevlar shock cord line is looped under the upper ring.


Note the yellow tint of the baffle card stock. That's a coating of yellow wood glue over most all the surfaces. The glue can help prevent ejection charge burns.

The baffle was slipped in (no glue yet) 3 1/2" down from the top of the main tube.



A glue fillet was applied drop by drop using a Q-Tip taped to a dowel.

5 comments:

  1. If I had known you were doing this, I have plenty of BT-60 baffles. I would have given you one. I'm not sure where I acquired so many, but I found a whole box a couple of weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Metal,
      Thanks for the offer - but I have plenty of extras in most sizes.

      Delete
  2. I have a hard time trusting baffles. I almost always use some wadding, even when I have them installed. What kind of luck do you have with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave,
      I've used them without wadding with no melted chutes, especially this type of design where there is no chance of flaming ejection bits getting through to the upper end.

      Delete
    2. That's good to know. I'll be trying this one and a Qualman for the first time this year.

      Delete