Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Centuri Quasar Clone Build, Kit #KC-7, Part 18, Motor Tube Chrome Trim

The Centuri instructions mention a "corrugated strip" that goes around the exposed part of the motor mount tube.

From my build in the 1970s, I don't remember if this wrap around was white cardstock or chrome Mylar. Centuri often included chrome Mylar in their kits.
I decided to add some chrome Monokote. 

I tried to add some embossed lines to the thin Mylar. It looks like the lines were visible at this stage. I made the lines with the round tip of a butter knife and straightedge.


The backing was peeled off and the end was started under the raised engine hook.

The picture shows the raised finish end ready to go under the lifted engine hook.







The chrome trim looks great - but the embossed lines pretty much disappeared when the Mylar was set down!
I know they are there . . . 

6 comments:

  1. I had the same problem with the embossed fins on my Skylab clone looks ok, but the embossed fins are a little weak looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill,
      Did you ever see this post? https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2020/02/centuri-skylab-kb-4-fin-covering.html

      Delete
    2. Hi Chris, Nope I'll check it out now. I used a grid tool to emboss the solar panels for my Skylab. I should have placed on 110 lb paper first then embossed the fins.

      Delete
  2. That chrome trim is *really* sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found that the back side of the scored monokote tape gave me the look I wanted, but removing the adhesive would be too tedious.
    https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/has-anyone-tried-this.149130/

    ReplyDelete