Wednesday, February 1, 2023

New Estes Blue Origin Changes - Follow-up


I received three new Blue Origin, New Shepard builds for Estes yesterday.
I had already built two of the original, first kits. Changes have been made. I was curious what the stability changes were. 

The nose cone gets one pat of clay weight. 
A single clay pat typically weighs around .25 oz. 

Inside the nose cone, the top surface is fairly flat. Time will tell if the clay stays stuck to the top wall.

The fin span is wider now.

Measured from the root edge to the outside edge, the fin is 2 3/32" wide or 2.10".
The leading edge height is the same, 2 3/32" from top to bottom.

I have to wonder with the nose cone diameter  wider than the BT-60 body tube - 
Is the airstream spread out by the nose cone and splayed outside the smaller fins?


I would think the first (smaller finned) model could fly fine with a B6-4 motor. It might be unstable with the heavier C6-5 motor.

2 comments:

  1. I'm hoping g to have mine built, sans paint and upper balsa details for Saturday, see how it flies compared you your early kit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Metal,
      I'll bring mine (with the smaller fins) loaded with a B6-4 on Saturday and we can compare the two.

      Delete