Saturday, February 25, 2023

Centuri Quasar Clone Build, Kit #KC-7, Decal Fix Follow-up

I've always wanted to try this! A new idea that worked. This might be my favorite post in a long time.

Home print decals are great, but they are not fully opaque. They also do not have a white undercoat.

I make my decals using the "photo paper" setting which uses more ink than a standard copy.

The top picture - notice the red decal ends up as a dark pink when set over the white spray paint. 
Enlarge the picture to compare the before and after.
The lower picture is a two layer home print decal. The red is more dense! 



Note the tapered red line running down the rocket body better matches the color density of the red fin.

The double layer decals are a bit tricky to apply. 
1. Wait a full day for the first layer decals to dry.
2. Wet the decal already on the model.
3. Soak and slide the second decal over the first decal.
4. Match and line up the graphics.


The second layer home print decal might end up with a "bubbled" texture, shown in the reflection here. Most all of this texture disappears as the decal dries. You may spot tiny air bubbles under that second layer. 
The Quasar name decal is still a single layer for now.

The Quasar decal PDFs are available to Patreon subscribers. There are doubles of everything so you can do double layer decals. Email me at oddlrockets@bellsouth.net and request the Quasar PDFs.

"Double Layer Home Print Decals" will make the translucent decals pop when set over white paint.
This will not work when setting home prints over darker colors, like blue or black.

6 comments:

  1. That worked very well, Chris! Another thing you can do, especially with white models, is to print the decals on white decal paper. I did this on one of my rockets and the red was very rich as was the blue color on the decal. I trimmed as close to the edge of the color as I could, and it doesn't really look too bad. Give it a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JHall,
      I've used white decal sheets when I've needed a white undercoat before. Even with the white decal sheet, the red printer ink would have shown up lighter than I would have liked. The two layer decals gave me the opaque red I needed to match the red spray paint on the fins, fin ramjet engine pods and cockpit.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for posting Chris, I'm gonna try this on my next build. My Skylab decals printed, as you said, a little on the pink side.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I've wondered about doubling up decals but never tried it. That had to be some job on a decal that long and narrow! Glad you're making this is available, I sent you an email about getting a copy yesterday when I thought the build was done. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave,
      The long decal did concern me but I made sure to wet the first set decal pretty well to allow sliding of the second decal. I'll get to sending out the decal PDFs tomorrow!

      Delete
  3. Dave S. here again. Thanks in advance for the decal pdf! It's very much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete