Sunday, February 19, 2023

Centuri Quasar Clone Build, Kit #KC-7, Part 15, Masking


This is an interesting mask - 
I'm doing the 1972 catalog mask with one red fin. The 1971 catalog showed two red fins.

This shows my mask around the rounded leading edge. It is made up of seven small tape pieces to round it out.


This shows both sides of the fin ramjets.
On the left - small pieces of tape to cover the rounded leading and trailing edges. 
On the right the long straight sides are added.








The rest of the large white areas were covered with plastic grocery bags and masking tape.

This looks like a messy mask but everything is covered.

Before spraying the red, I go around the edges with a Q-tip, pressing the tape down. I make sure all edges are sealed.

4 comments:

  1. I'll share a couple of things I like to do for masking. For going around curves, I like Tamiya Tape for Curves. Works really well. Also, I like to burnish down the edges too but I'll also shoot the body color over the edges to seal them down. That way any paint that would go under the tape will be the same color as the body. In this case white. Sometimes I'll seal with clear gloss, depending on the situation. Adds a step but I get pretty good results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave,
      Everyone has their best methods. Over many years and workable shortcuts, this is what works for me.
      I've used Tamiya tape in the past but find I get as clean of a mask line using the Scotch tape. If the glue fillets are clean, the mask lines come out very sharp. Tamiya tape is too expensive for me.
      I don't spray to seal the tape edges before the second color anymore. If the surfaces are smooth and the tape edges burnished I find the sealing coats are not needed.

      Delete
  2. 10-4 and I’m definitely learning new stuff here. I’ll be trying the scotch tape method. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave, Here's some older posts showing the tape being marked, cut and applied. https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2015/08/avi-nike-tomahawk-build-part-21.html http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2013/01/quest-aerospace-one-part-12-step-22.html http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2019/11/estes-little-joe-1-7255-build-part-16.html

      Delete