Thursday, February 16, 2023

Centuri Quasar Clone Build, Kit #KC-7, Part 12, The Canopy


The cockpit canopy is included with the decal sheet for Patreon subscribers.
The canopy doesn't stand very high on the nose cone. My drawing is a good guess based on pictures I could find. I went through three different drawings and prints until I got something I thought was close.

I'm holding the glue tab closed with long tweezers. Paper on paper joints take only a thin skin of glue for adhesion. 


The nose cone was painted white before gluing on the canopy.

This wasn't the easiest canopy to fit on the curve of the nose cone. I doubt it was true to the original kit.
For first positioning, I tacked down the front tip and middle back with white glue. This gives me a chance to position the canopy before gluing down permanently.

Once I'm happy with the position and centering I'll glue it down with CA glue.

Squeeze out a drop of medium CA onto some scrap cardboard. Dip a toothpick into the glue drop. Run the drop of glue around the outside edge.

Glue a short segment at a time, pressing and holding down the edge until dry. I rolled a Sharpie barrel over the edge, smoothing as I went.
 




The canopy required additional white spray coats, lightly sanding the canopy between coats until the paint had soaked in and sealed the cardstock.

2 comments:

  1. That looks pretty darned good. Going to have to wait for the weather to straighten out here to do that part of the project though. About how far down from the tip of the nose cone did you start attaching the canopy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave,
      It was a guess after looking at catalog pictures. It ended up at 2" from the tip of the nosecone to the small forward tip of the canopy.

      Delete