Monday, May 22, 2023

Launch! Schoolyard Soccer Field, May 21, 2023


You've got to get up early to beat the heat!
I arrived at the field at 7:10 a.m. and over the next 40 minutes I sweated through my clothes.

With LCO duties, I only launched two rockets at the last club launch. Today I played catch-up..

At the club launch, I had hoped to test an old/new SPUTNIK idea. The Odd'l Rockets kit has been a 13mm mini-motor rocket for years. I drilled out the 3" Styrofoam ball for a standard 18mm motor.

Two launches today, a B6-2, then a C5-3. Very stable and certainly higher than the previous A10-3t engine flights.




The Estes CURVILINEAR has always been a stubby favorite.
Today it flew with a A8-3 engine to about 175'. 

I know, "More Power!" If you saw the size of this field, you'd be picking little motors too.






This is a sharp looking rocket - 
The Estes INDICATOR looks like a two stage, but it is a single engine model.
Performance was better than expected with a A10-3t motor. I would guess 225'. Fast off the pad with full 9" chute recovery.








First flight of the BT-55 upscaled Estes EAC VIPER.
The A8-3 engine reached 200'.








It did clear the tree and was recovered.
Note the tangle-free shroud lines.

Five up, five recovered with two Sputnik test launches in. A good, hot start for a Sunday.

5 comments:

  1. Great group of flights! Keep 'em coming.
    Out here on the Colorado front range, my rocket flying has been further curtailed by the presence of thick smoke haze from the Canadian wildfires. Coupled with the constant rainy/windy weather and the loss of Dove Valley Park for the year, rocket launching had been at a minimum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished my Indicator decals yesterday. I thought I screwed up because I painted it with two red fins and one black, but the decals are set up for two black, one red. Still turned out looking nice. I plan to get mine up this coming weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill,
      You're not the only one!
      https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2021/06/estes-indicator-7244-build-part-9-red.html
      More decal problems: https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2021/06/estes-indicator-7244-build-part-11.html

      Delete
  3. "Tangle-free shroud lines"? Do you have a post about them? (I've just started following recently.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matthew,
      Here's an article I wrote for the Apogee Peak Of Flight Newsletter. It takes a few extra minutes to tie them tangle free: https://www.apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/Newsletter368.pdf

      Delete