Thursday, May 4, 2023

MPC Lambda Payloader Build, Part 1, Unboxing

Here's one of the original MPC model rocket kits, the LAMBDA PAYLOADER.
To catch up on the MPC history, here's a link to some posts on TRF: CLICK HERE   

The Lambda Payloader was MPCs equivalent to the Estes X-RAY. Minimum diameter, four balsa fins and a clear payload tube.  

One of the Mach 10 series of kits. These had balsa fins and a "fiber" body tube rocket body.



I don't know if I agree with the recommended engines. I would probably use a slightly longer delay. I'd probably go with an A8-3, B6-4 or C6-5. 







Here's the open box after tearing off the broken cellophane cover wrap.

Lots of empty space in the box!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Chris,
    So cool that you are featuring an original MPC kit in a build series!
    Back in the day, I sent an order to AVI for a Flatcat, Theta Cajun, Flare Patriot, and an MRI Icarus. All of them were good fliers. I also bought a few packages if those horrible AVI Gold Series 18mm D motors that had a nasty habit of blowing out the ejection charge casing. I recall that the order included some MPC motors and a ceramic parabolic blast deflector. The order also came with a handful of free AVI range box stickers!
    Them were the days....

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did I not remember to include the Lunar Patrol in the previous comment??? That one was my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ed,
      I still have (and occasionally fly) my MPC Martian Patrol. One saucer "hovers" down the other one flips end over end.
      I saw the 18mm D motors in the catalog but never launched one.
      I knew the Bergenski's. AVI was the first company I built show models for. Sometimes I'd take the payment in rockets and supplies. This is one of the few remaining original MPC kits from my build pile. AVI had some big clearance sales before the end.

      Delete