Wednesday, May 10, 2023

MPC Lambda Payloader Build, Part 7, Lug Fit, Paint & Chute

I sanded a light curve into the bottom of the launch lug standoff.
I wrapped some 400 grit around a 1/4" launch lug and ran it up and down the length of the standoff. I should have also done this on the top side of the standoff before gluing on the lug.

TIP: If you ever need to sand a curve into the bottom of a standoff to better fit the body tube, sand with a smaller diameter tube than what you are gluing it on to. You'll get a better fit.





Here's the model ready for a white undercoat.

It does really remind me of the Estes X-Ray.






The lower body will initially be painted gloss white.

A painting wand (dowel with a glued on engine casing) is slipped into the engine mount. At the open top, a rolled up paper towel will keep paint out of the tube.
I didn't use the six separate red shroud lines included in the kit. I used the more recent three long "loop" method. It's difficult to get six separate lines evenly tied and attached to the plastic adapter loop. 

I also added a snap swivel.

The parachute was stored in a small zip bag with the snap swivel out the top. This prevents any tangles.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Chris,
    That's very interesting. I do the very same "zip bag with snap swivel outside" parachute storage method!
    Enjoying this build series. Looks like you are having fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ed,
      I don't like tangles in the chute lines. I also use the zip bags to store small parts during a build.

      Delete