Monday, May 29, 2023

Odd'l Rockets F-18 Hornet, Blue Angels Build, Part 5, Yellow or Yellow Orange?




After another white undercoat - 

All the wing tips got shot with gloss yellow.

The tips were masked off and the rest of the model was sprayed with blue.

A problem - 
The yellow was too bright and didn't match the decals! See the decals, two pictures below.

I let the model alone for a few days to think up a work-around.

I had to mask off the blue body leaving the yellow wing tips open.
The wing tips were sprayed with orange.
Within ten minutes (I didn't have to let the paint dry for a few days) 
I lightly sprayed the wing tips with yellow.


The Ace brand spray paint is somewhat transparent, especially the lighter colors. The light spraying of yellow still let some of the orange show through.

Now I had a color that was a near match to the decals. 
This doesn't always work - 
(EDIT: Coming up - this decal color changed when they were slid off the backing sheet!) 







Here's where I'm at - 

Let the paint set up for a few days, then decals!

No comments:

Post a Comment