Sunday, May 14, 2023

MPC Lambda Payloader Build, Part 11, The Checkerboard Wrap Decal

I went ahead a re-drew the decals needed to match to box illustration.
There are three slightly different width checkerboard wraps. The kit supplied wrap was 2 1/2" wide. That width seemed to fit around and match up going around the tube.
With a wrap, I usually make extras that are a bit narrower and another wider. If the original width doesn't fit, one of the other two could be closer.

I don't like to waste decal paper, why not fill it up with other needed decals. In the middle are decals for the Klingon Battle Cruiser. I had built two of these, one kit had some decals that were old and wouldn't release.

At the bottom is an Odd'l Rockets F-18 Fighter Jet decal set that will be bagged in a kit.
  


I sprayed a scrap piece of a clear decal with gloss white paint.
This will be used as a white undercoat for the checkerboard wrap decal. 


The white decal goes down first and is allowed to dry.

The checkerboard wrap is applied over the white band.

TIP: Notice the decal is set right below the lip of the body tube. That small gap will prevent the decal from peeling back at the top of the tube.
Well, I screwed up - but in a small way, so did MPC! I didn't consider the high-low checker box position when the decals were redrawn.

On the left: The MPC checkerboard ends don't meet in an alternating pattern! My decal didn't match either. I'm leaving it as it is.
The decal ends meet up above the launch lug and won't be seen on the pad.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris!: Layering decals is a great technique! When done well, you can't tell it's more than one decal.

    ReplyDelete