Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Estes Saturn V Build Part 10 Seam Filling


Here's how George Gassaway suggested to fill the body tube spirals.

Masking tape is set down just to either side of the seam.




Primer is shot, concentrating on the seams.
I sprayed the primer a little thick.





With the tape removed you are left with primer in and just to either side of recessed seam.





After sanding you can see they gray primer is left in the seams.

This was after I did my standard Carpenter's Wood Filler in the seams. Sanding, a thin coat of CA and more sanding.

Normally, I would follow my filler regime with primer anyway to fill any of the seam remaining.

Using George Gassaway's method, the primer is directed where it is really needed. You save a lot of time and sandpaper by masking then shooting the primer.

Time spent on build: 2:00 seam filling and sanding
Total time on build so far: 9:00

4 comments:

  1. Wow, as a newbie I really need to learn how to do this well. I also need to learn to read more carefully.

    My 3rd build has a BT slightly larger than the first two, I'm guessing it's a BT-55, and I couldn't detect a seam before painting. After primer, sanding, and then a light coat of white the seam really stood out.

    So remembering this description I taped and hit the seam with a thick blast of primer, sanded, and then another coat of paint. Seam still showed up.

    Today I looked at this page again and see where you say to do this AFTER the standard Carpenter's Wood Filler in the seams.

    The next rocket gets the Wood Filler before the fins!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The technique shown in the Saturn V post was about filling seams in a larger body tube. The primer filler is directed right on the seams. this method saves primer and a whole lot of time sanding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I now make a second mix of the CWF just for body tube seams. The balsa fin mixture is thinner for brushing.
    The thicker seam mixture ratio is here:
    http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2011/11/cwf-filler-mix-ratio-for-body-tube.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was about to start with a new body tube tonight and just saw your post. I now have a small container of 1:4 mixed up and am ready to start. Thanks! I'm one step closer to being confident enough to tackle the Saturn V.

    ReplyDelete