Thursday, May 5, 2011

Estes Saturn V Build Part 12 Shrouds

I scanned the two large shrouds and printed off two extra copies of each.

Print the extra shrouds on 110 lb. cardstock.
The cardstock I buy has a smooth side and the backside that is slightly rougher. I print on the rough side so when the shroud is formed, the ink lines are on the rough inside. The smooth side faces out. It takes more paint to cover printed lines and wordage on a provided kit shroud.

I usually make three shrouds and test fit all of them.
The best fitting shroud out of the three will be used on the model.
A slight bit of difference in cutting and gluing can make a big difference in how well a shroud fits.

The shrouds were cut just to the outside of the black lines. Not through the middle of the black border line, but to the outside. Between the black ink and the white paper.
Cut the straight sides of the shroud with a razor blade and straightedge.
Cut the curved sides of the shroud with sharp scissors.

TIP: You can sharpen your scissors by cutting up scrap pieces of sandpaper. Make about 10 cuts through 220 and then 10 cuts through 400 grit.

I've never used the palm of my hand to form a shroud this big. It worked just fine.

Press a larger diameter dowel back and forth over the shroud until the cone forms smoothly.

To hold the shroud closed while gluing, a strip of tape is set on the outside.
Cut it shorter than the height of the shroud so you can match up the ends without tape covering them.



The gluing tab was cut wider than the outside border lines. It just seemed too narrow.
Notice I'm also forming a curve in the tab with the dowel.

This will make it fit better, give a larger gluing area and help keep the curvature flow at the seam.


Time spent on build: :45 printing, cutting and forming shrouds
Total time on build so far: 10:30

11 comments:

  1. Any chance you still have the computer files for this shroud? I would love to redo this stage of my rocket... now that I know how :-) Your information is really great! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sent the PDFs to your email address.
    Good luck with the rest of your Saturn build!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you post a link, or send them to me too? My sign in here might not have the correct email address, mine is @aol.com, but I'd greatly appreciate the files.

    I just now tried to scan mine in but my scanner won't cooperate. So I'm going to go ahead and cut out my originals but it's nice knowing these can be reproduced if necessary (and I fully expect it to be necessary).

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shroud PDFs are on the way!
    Sorry about the delay, I just got back home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I would have read this before I started building. i would really appreciate it if I could get the shroud PDF file. i screwed mine up

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mike,
    Send me your email address to
    oddlrockets@bellsouth.net
    and I'll send you the PDFs for the shroud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chris,

    I had a great flight of my Saturn V last year, but the landing was pretty rough. Trying to rebuild my upper stage of the rocket.

    Do you still have the PDF of the shrouds?

    Thanks!

    Chris

    obrienc@jtowndrakes.org

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is there any chance you still have the pdf of the shrouds? I could really use it if you do. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Unknown,
      I still have it - email and request it at oddlrockets@bellsouth.net

      Delete
  9. Hi Chris,

    Question on the cardstock you use - is it 110# Index Stock or 110# Cover Stock - those two are significantly different in thickness. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Eric,
    I just use the 110 lb. Georgia Pacific Card Stock I buy at WalMart. I wasn't aware of the two different thicknesses.

    ReplyDelete