Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Estes Saturn V Build Part 28A Nozzle Bulkhead

This isn't part of the Estes Saturn V build, but it's something you might like to add to the display nozzle assembly.

Raul (RoskoRacer) and RockItDad came across a carded model Saturn V model and posted the links on TRF.
You can add a paper print to the visible nozzle side of the bulkhead.
The entire carded Saturn V is here:
http://jleslie48.com/satv20/s-1cton.pdf
Go to page 10 for this bulkhead print.

This is from a 1/104th scale carded model of the Saturn V by Ton Noteboom.
The Estes kit is 1/100th scale model.
Even though it's from a slightly smaller scale, this carded print fits the nozzle glue hole positions perfectly! Print at full size and line up the black dots with the holes in the bulkhead. Glue it to the nozzle side of the bulkhead before gluing on the nozzles.

4 comments:

  1. I hope you don't mind me asking lots of questions. I almost feel like before I'm done I'll have posted on every one of your Saturn V blogs.

    This image is confusing to me and before I cut and glue it on I thought I'd ask some questions here. I tried to find a picture of your finished Saturn's bottom, I'm pretty sure I'd seen one somewhere, but couldn't find it.

    1) Did you cut a circle from the print that was the same size as the round card, or did you cut the entire image out and let it overhang under the fairings?

    2) If the 4 dark half circles are where the fairings are, then shouldn't the motor nozzles be under them? The black dots on the image would result in the 4 outside motor nozzles being in between the fairings.

    Anything you can add to clear this up would be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I remember, I set the disk over the print and cut it round. The dark gray areas would end up inside the fairings and wouldn't be seen anyway.
    You could set the round disk on the print and line up the nozzle holes to center the disk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Chris. I am in the middle of my saturn V build right now and I see that the bottom of the fairings still have the estes plastic on them. That's the way they are supposed to be cut out right? I see that this disc will not fit with the bottom of the fairing on... Would you be able to help please?
    ToneDeafJunior

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Junior,
      Don't cut out the bottoms of the fairings! It'll weaken the assembly. Cut the glued on print overhang (dark gray areas) off so the print is the same diameter as the heavy disk from the kit. It should end up being perfectly round.
      I hope this answers your question.

      Delete