Saturday, May 7, 2011

Estes Saturn V Build Part 16 Wraps

While you can cut the tops and bottoms of the wraps closer to the corrugations, leave the right and left sides long so they can be trimmed to fit when wrapped around their body tubes.

The instructions are a little vague about how much "edge" to leave on the wraps. I probably cut mine closer than needed.
I thought a 1/16" edge was a little wide and would give a "stepped" appearance.

You are told to leave a 1/16" border around the interstage wrapper details.




Wrap the 3rd stage wrapper around the tube and mark the overlap.







I kept trimming off small slivers of the wrap until both sides matched and the space between the seam corrugations was equal.
The space between the corrugations at the seam is a little wider than the spaces surrounding it.
Not a big deal, I was hoping for a tight fit rather than having to fill a gap.


Time spent on build: 1:30 Trimming wraps
Total time on build so far: 14:30

2 comments:

  1. I have found the wraps a bit on the small side. They do not quite make it around the tube.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised by the inconsistency. This kit was a short run produced in Penrose. Maybe Estes got complaints that the wraps were too long and they overcompensated. Who knows?

    I found my old Estes Saturn (1970s) in storage two years ago. The embossed card stock wraps weren't even close to going all the way around the tubes!

    ReplyDelete