Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Estes Delta Wedge Clone #1931, Build, Background

This was an interesting build!
I started it two years ago, but set it aside after having problems getting a good wing fit around the BT-20 main body tube.

Because I started with the wing fitting, I didn't assemble everything for a "parts" picture.

Above is the catalog picture when the kit was introduced in 1984.
The picture below right was provided by Gerry Fortin 
from the instructions at JimZ's: CLICK HERE 

Here's the parts list from Jim Z's:

The main wedge body and wedge shaped fins were die-cut from heavy cardstock. I re-drew the templates and cleaned things up for my second try at the build.

While the available templates I drew up fit a standard BT-20 tube, I made some adjustments on this blog build to fit my heavy walled BT-20H tubing.

The kit supplied white decals set on the overall dark blue painted model. The face card picture looks more like a solid black, but the instructions suggest dark blue. I can't print white decals so I re-drew them and will paint the rocket a metallic silver.

If you would like to build this model (and like a good challenge) -
The templates and (home print) decals are available to Patreon supporters.
Email me at oddlrockets@bellsouth.net and ask for the Delta Wedge PDFs.  
Off we go . . .

6 comments:

  1. As a kid I remember 'oogling' this kit in the Estes catalog. After having read the instructions at Jim Z's my thought was 'yikes!'. This will be an interesting build to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I too am looking forward to the build.

      Delete
  2. I do recall in the past the "go-to" printer for being able to print white and metallic colors was one of the printers from ALPS. Being that they've long been out of production does result in some problems:
    * connect to parallel port
    * last drivers were for Windows XP
    * ink cartridges are becoming very rare
    I've heard that there are some newer printers from Epson that have comparable capabilities -- though being somewhat of a specialty product, they're model that aren't carried widely (apparently you'll need to order directly from the manufacturer).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aside from trying to print white, another way is to start with white decal sheet instead of a clear one. This of course depends on the nature of the markings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you've got "holes" the marking where the base color shows through, then it's generally not going to work. One potential "cheat" (often used with sticker markings on toys) is to print those "holes" in base color. Granted, that doesn't look very good if you're not able to match the colors well enough.

      Delete
    2. Hi Naoto,
      I did try to figure out how to work with a white decal sheet on this one, but didn't think it would work. Sometimes where the white areas are surrounded by a thicker border of another color it can work - but not this one!

      Delete