Sunday, March 27, 2022

Estes Space Ship One, Kit # 2191, Build Part 7, The Long Outside Fins


It's a little tricky to glue on the outside fins.
Check out the shape towards the rear, left side. The side fins are not symmetrical, the top half has more fin area than the bottom.
The front end taper also droops down a little bit from the top.
The instructions state: "Pay attention to the TOP and BOTTOM of fin." The accompanying drawing doesn't show the difference very well. 

Oh boy!
More filling of the front through the wall tabs!
I didn't see any way to fill it all at once - both sides of the four fin tabs.
This is one of those builds I stopped and restarted when I wondered if it would be worth all the work in the end.

EDIT: After finishing the model, I can see where the outside long fins could easily break off on a hard landing. If I were to build another (I hope not!) I'd reinforce the underside with some sort of basswood strut.

No comments:

Post a Comment