Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Estes Antar #7310 Build, Part 6, Wing Prep


Before gluing the long "I" and one of the "H" pieces together - 
I like to sand the leading edge of the I piece round. I find it easier to sand and feather in the rounded leading edge of the H piece after they are joined.

Be sure to use a strait edge when lining up the pieces for gluing.
You may have to sand the ends for the best fit.

The upper joint is after sanding to fit.
The lower pieces show a gap that will be sanded for a better fit.
I traced the wing and the open slot to make a masking template.
If you wish, you can build as the instructions show by removing the rectangle and gluing the K piece tab into the slot. I decided to fill the slots and glue on the K pieces after the wing had been masked and painted. The complex mask would be easier this way.

On the right, some tighter fitting filler pieces have been cut and glued into the slots. You don't really have to remove the slot pieces. Leave them in place and rub some wood glue into the burnt slot edges. I was trying to get the laser cut lines narrower for an easier fill. 



On the left I'm cutting the tabs off the K pieces using a straightedge.

On the right side of the picture - 
The K piece tab has been sanded flat to the root edge.
Piece on the left is before sanding. On the right is after sanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment