Thursday, January 26, 2023

Estes BOSS Kit #7316, Build, Part 19, Transferring the BIG Disk Decal





Here's the disk before the large disk decal is placed.

All the position reference tape strips are in place.



I'd recommend cutting these decal close to the black ink, especially around the outside arc.

I cut the disk into smaller "arc" pieces and applied all the outer ring pieces first. The center circle is placed last.

I always wet the surface where the decal will be placed.
TIP: Be careful not to get the water over the edge of the cardstock. It can be absorbed into the sides and swell up the fibers.

I did my best to lightly press and absorb any moisture into a paper towel. After a few hours the raised area did shrink down some, you can still see it - almost!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chris!:
    I wonder if a light clear coat over the disc might help seal the edges of the cardstock disc to help prevent water from damaging it? A gloss clear coat might also help the decal to snuggle down and you can slide it around easier on a slick surface.. I know during my plastic model building days that decals are a lot more friendly on a gloss surface.

    Sincerely,
    J.W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi J.W.,
      Well, I thought the cardstock edges would be sealed after the white paint coats. Water always seems to find it's way in. I can imagine this happening to other builders.
      After too many bad experiences, I rarely use clear coats. That might have helped in this instance. Acrylic Clear coats get sticky on a hot, humid Florida launch day.

      Delete