Sunday, November 5, 2023

Orlando R.O.C.K. Monthly Launch, November 4, 2023


This'll be a different launch report.
I had charged my camera battery a day before. It was slid into the camera, ready to go. 
Arriving at the site, I realized the camera was left overnight in the "ON" position. The battery was dead. No launch pictures today.

So - 
I'll do a little different coverage, covering some of the small hurdles at the launch.
 
The Custom SLV was launched with a Estes B6-4 to an estimated 425'.
No engine hook on this model. Instead of a friction fit engine, I did a simple tape wrap over the engine mount tube and the extended casing. 

That's a BT-50 at the top but with the adapter and nose cone shoulders there is only 1 1/2" for a packed parachute, shock cord and shroud lines. After spiking the chute, I fold the chute only once. Shroud lines are wrapped, but the chute is pushed beyond the short BT-50, down into the BT-20 tube.
 


No, that's not Squidward - 
Another build with not enough room for a chute. The parachute is packed into the BT-50 tube below the balsa adapter.

The Estes KLINGON BATTLE CRUISER had a first flight with a B6-4 to 350'.
The chute did eject and brought the model down without damage.






Another first launch with the Blue Angels treatment of the Odd'l Rockets F-18 HORNET. A B6-4 got it to around 350'.
High winds were expected, many opted for streamer recovery. I used the 12" chute - see the last picture below. Rods were angled so the models would drift back to the launchers and not in the trees.
I like to fly an occasional Micro Maxx rocket, this was the only one at today's launch. First timers are always surprised by the speed and altitude.

You can get descent MMX launches from kits that use balsa and Kraft tubing.

The FlisKits HONEST JOHN is a great performer. After ignition we all lost sight of it until the streamer ejected. I would guess the altitude was above 100', but with the rocket being so small it seems much higher.

I made a MMX launch rod adapter from a Brian Coyle design. A 1/8" lug is taped to and empty casing. a MMX launch rod is taped on the other side. 


By the time the F-18 was prepped, the expected high winds were stirring, While most used streamers, I opted for a "Hillbilly Hat" recovery.

The chute canopy is taped close about half way down. Only the bottom of the chute opens, sort-of.

Just be sure to get rid of some of the tape stickiness before taping the thin chute plastic closed. Stick the tape to your pant leg, lift and stick - lift and stick. The tape will pick up some lint and not grab as much.

I did have a Mega Mosquito ready with a D12-3 manufactured in 1975! The winds were picking up and the equipment was being broken down. I'll try the old engine next month.

Four launched, four recovered with no damage.

2 comments:

  1. From Manuel Mejia, been busy with job transfer and family matters. I heard the blog post was gone. I am glad you do it occasionally. I lost your USPS address. I do letters these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree with the Klingon Cruiser not having much space for the parachute -- noticed that after building the model. In the final stages of construction, attaching the parachute, and loosely packing it and stuffing it into the body tube and attaching the long nose, it seems to fit -- then you realize that you'd need to put in wadding for flight...

    ReplyDelete