Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Estes Mini Scale Combo Pak, #0874, Tomahawk & Exocet, Build, Part 1, Parts


I always found this combo "Pak" kit interesting.
The eight finned Exocet and I.Q.S.Y. Tomahawk.

Produced from 1986 - 1989.
BT-5 based mini engine kits.
No parachutes or streamers, just break-apart recovery.
An interesting single slit shock cord anchor.

From the Estes catalog:
“Two scale rockets in one package feature balsa nose cones, scale decals, die-cut fiber fins and break-apart recovery.”
Flights to 800 feet.




The BT-5 body tubes are 5" and 3" long, joined by a coupler. I don't know why there are joined tubes, a single 8" long tube would have easily fit into the kit bag.

The kit fins are die cut thick cardstock.

The rubber shock cords are 6  1/2" and 7 1/2", too short for me.

NO parachutes or streamers - I'll add longer shock cords and streamers. 

This was an open bag kit, given to me by Roger at Jonrocket.com.
There were some missing parts: 
Two washers are needed for the Exocet nose weight, only one was in the bag.
Only one launch lug was found, a second one will come from my spare parts stash.
Only one small screw eye, I know I have a second one upstairs.

1 comment:

  1. As a big fan of the Exocet, the oversized rear fins on this one really bug me. I know why they do it, but for me it ruins the design.

    I suppose for something this tiny it doesn't really matter. These things are halfway towards being micro-maxx.

    ReplyDelete