Monday, April 22, 2024

Old Estes Parts, Part 1

Lonnie Buchanon let me borrow some old Estes parts he found in a Craig's List buy.
Below is a BT-30 tube.

Mark II wrote in YORF:
https://www.rocketshoppe.com/info/Estes_Body_Tube_List_3.1.pdf
"BT-30 is a recreation of the very first body tubes that the fledgling Estes Industries sold in 1960. Yes, these were the legendary tubes that Gleda Estes hand-rolled from mimeograph stencil backing using a slotted aluminum mandrel. BT-30 was used in most of the early Estes Industries kits, including the Scout, Mark, Space Plane, Sky Hook and Sprite (K-1, -2, -3, -8 and -15). The somewhat loose fit of their 18mm motors in it is what makes the tumble recovery-inducing weight shift easier and more controllable in the Scout and Sprite. Other kits that used it were the TK-4 Hornet Mini Brute, the Scout II and Scout III, the Mark II and a number of MRN plans. There is an extended discussion of this tube in John Brohm's Estes Body Tube/Kit Reference v3.1." CLICK HERE
  

I don't think this is a Gleda Estes rolled tube but a manufactured recreation as mentioned above.
Estes probably had BT-30 tubes made for them when the kit demand got too high to hand roll the tubes.
This one is rolled very tight and clean, I would assume the hand rolled tubes weren't as taut. I can't say for sure as I've never seen a Gleda Estes hand rolled tube in person.
 

This shows the fit of a current engine slid into the BT-30 tube. There is plenty of space for a few tape wraps to get a good friction fit.
The loose fit reminds me of the old Model Missiles instructions that mention you could use rubber bands wrapped around the motor for a friction fit.

2 comments:

  1. My uncle told me engines used to be mailed in those tubes. So, you could use the mailing tubes as body tubes! I always thought that was a great idea. I'm also 99% sure he had one of the original Estes catalogs in his bookshelf--I used to look through it when I was a kid in the late sixties. But he doesn't know what happened to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Curious,
      The engine shipping tubes were larger diameter and blue in color. Estes did sell a special nose cone for the mailing tube, #651-BNC-MTD. The mailing tube was 1.002" diameter. The BT-30 tube (shown above) was .767" diameter.

      Delete