Friday, January 5, 2024

Estes Great Goblin, #9724 Build, Part 20, ACE Hardware Paint?

Why do they keep changing the spray formulas we become accustomed to?
   
I've been using the ACE Hardware Premium Enamel with good results. It reminded me the old formula Krylon.
The first cans I purchased had a spray nozzle shown on the left. Recently the nozzles have been changed and are now like the can on the right.

The paint formula also seems to be changed.


The new formula is thinner, more prone to runs. 
To prevent runs I had to increase the distance from the spray can to the model surface. 

The new thinner, somewhat transparent formula requires more paint to get an opaque, full color. 
If you happen to use light colors like the newer Ace yellow or orange - Be sure your white undercoats are a full, consistent white.
But, the new formula dries to a good gloss.





The yellow paint on the Great Goblin ended up looking a little darker than the color on the can cap.
On the left is the cardstock that was rolled up, keeping the paint out of the top of the body tube. It seems to have a little orange tint to it.

4 comments:

  1. Good to know about the Ace yellow spray paint lids not matching the actual color. I had wanted to use the Ace yellow because of the general quality of their paint, but the yellow on the lid looked way too light so I never tried it. The Goblin, the old Big Bertha scheme with the black stripes, and many other yellow rockets call for a darker (not pale) yellow, almost a chrome yellow. I’m off to Ace today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Augendoc,
      Do some test sprays to see how thin (watery) the new formula is. Initial sprays should be farther away from the rocket body so you don't get runs and drips.

      Delete
  2. Hmm, the Ace paints are probably contracted out to a manufacturer. Like Testor's hobby paints are contracted to Rustoleum. New contract, new paint formula.

    It has become really aggravating. I recently tried the Krylon Acryli-Quik. It goes on great, almost impossible to run, but it is a lacquer, so doesn't really dry to a good gloss. I also noticed the black is not really a deep black, more like a dark charcoal gray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      The new formula Ace Hardware enamel isn't a dense color so it took more coats than usual get an opaque yellow. I'm getting tired of trying to find the best paint. I would probably go with Acrylic-Quik paints but I would have to order it. The Ace store is a short drive for me.

      Delete