Monday, August 17, 2026

Estes Cosmic Interceptor Build, Part 4, Prepping The Engine Mount Tubes

There are many tubes in this kit - I'll be filling seams as I go.

The engine mount tube and the short tube that goes over the vanes got the seams pencil marked.
Thinned CWF was dragged into the seams using the tip of an old X-Acto #11 blade.
After it dried, sanding followed to surface with 400 grit.


I know - I'm filling an inside seam.
I won't know how visible this will be until the vanes are glued on.

After filling, more sanding.



The two tubes got a shot of Duplicolor Filler/Primer (FP101) and sanding. Two steps and the seams are filled.
The engine mount marking guide didn't quite match up around the engine tube. 
A comment once said: "It won't match up after the tube diameter is increased if the seams were filled."
The wrap was placed at the upper end of the tube where no filling was done. A new marking guide was printed at payloadbay.com.

To place the engine block, tape wraps were done at the 1/2" mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment