Friday, May 11, 2018

Estes Mini A Heli #007272, Build, Part 14, Vent Slots, Tubes and Fins




Here's all three sides of the helicopter blades - top, back of the top and low end.









The inside and outside of the vent slots got a wipe of medium CA to strengthen them, especially at the corners. Light sanding to smooth the surface followed after it dried.







TIP: The two tubes were glued together using an aluminum angle. This helps keep them straight and is better than trying to roll them over a flat surface.


I used a Q-tip to apply a bead of glue for the engine block.
TIP: I marked the glue distance on the Q-tip with a fingernail. You can see the depression near my fingers in the upper picture.




The fins are glued on 1/2" from the end of the body tube. This 1/2" open tube area allows you to use a wrap of tape for engine retention, no engine hook.

The small, tapered launch lugs were glued and aligned. The low lug glues to the fin root edge.

2 comments:

  1. Good tip on using the aluminum angle tool to keep the tube sections straight. I happened to be working on a Semroc Thunderchief when I read your post, so I used that to keep the coupled sections straight while the glue dried, along with a couple of rubber bands. Worked like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BAR,
      I used to roll tubes on a countertop, but this seemed easier (and I didn't have to clear off the counter!)

      Delete