Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Estes Mini A Heli #007272, Build, Part 2, Fins?

Here's something I don't get -
The wood grain on the supplied fins doesn't run down the leading edge. On the right is the picture on the first page of the instructions.

I probably won't use them anyway. I thought the 3/32" thick fins were a little thick for a competition model. Recently I bought some 1/32" thick plywood from BMS.


Competition flying is all about reducing weight and drag. I'll be doing some adjustments to hopefully have a more efficient model.

On the left is the kit fin, weighing .01 oz.
On the right is the 1/32" thick plywood copy. It's double the weight at .02 oz.




The kit fin is on the left, thin plywood fin on the right.
When I get finished with the replacement fin, it should weigh less.

Just comparing the root edge widths, the thinner ply fin will have much less drag.

No comments:

Post a Comment