Sunday, July 4, 2021

Estes Space Twister #7258, Part 4, Fin Prep & Gluing



These fins are different - 

On the left is the "spin tab". It glues onto the outside edge of the main fin.
Notice the notches it fits into on the main fin.
All three spin tabs are glued on facing to the right.  


Before gluing on the tabs,
I filled the balsa grain with some CWF.

I figured it would be easier with the pieces separate as there is a tight inside angle when the spin tabs are glued in place.

The outside edges were lightly sanded to be sure the edge was flat and not at an angle from the laser cutting.

I hit the fins with a shot of filler/primer before gluing the two pieces together. I applied a thin strip of masking tape down the outside edges where the glue would be applied.
On the right side picture - the root edges are pressed together to keep the filler/primer off the root edges for a better glue bond.



After the filler/primer was sanded to surface,
The spin tab was glued onto the outside edge of the fins.

I used the flat side of my sanding block to press down and square up the two fin pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment