Thursday, July 8, 2021

Estes Space Twister #7258, Part 8, BAD Green Paint


I took the decal sheet into Ace Hardware to find a matching can of green paint.
I've had good luck with the Ace Premium Enamel but there wasn't a close match to the green in the Estes decal. 
I had to go with Rustoleum 2X, Spring Green.
Rustoleum - Dun, Dun Dun!

I did a lot of can shaking and some test shots on scrap cardboard before painting the fins.
First fin paint went well, good spray and glossy.

Second fin - dull, flat, almost like their cottage cheese gloss white. The sound of the spray hiss was different. I didn't even shoot the third fin. Let it dry and try to sand it smooth.
Shake and shoot the second fill again.
This time the second fin was good, smooth and glossy.

I proceeded to the third fin. It shot rough again! 
Let it dry, carefully sand and shoot the third fin again, this time with success. 

The last picture shows one of the green fins. This was too much work for a silly inside mask. Thanks for nothing Rustoleum.
The can was shaken and test sprays were done. If there is thick pigment caught up inside the interior feeder tube, you are screwed.
I'm returning this can for a refund.

No comments:

Post a Comment