Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Re-Rounding An Out Of Round Tube?

Here's a weird one - 

I had a tube in a Little Joe I kit that was out of round. Sometimes you can reform a tube with a coupler or careful use of light steam over boiling water. A round tube is important, especially on this model. The cardstock shroud has to have a good fit.

I have already sprayed the tube with filler/primer, the inside of the tube isn't sealed. 
I "steamed" the inside of the tube with hot breath. The tube wall absorbed some of the moisture from my breath. 



Before the tube could cool, I rolled it between my hands with pressure on the two wider sides.
It took a few tries but I was able to coax the tube round again. The fit of the shroud is much better now.

This would only work with a slightly out of round tube. This won't help with a sharper bend or crease.

3 comments:

  1. At first I thought you were demonstrating one of your unusual musical instruments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks kind of like an Aeolian Air Harp!
    😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ed,
      If I could have got some notes out of it, I would have played it. I did try to make a pan flute out of BT-5s once. Don't bother -

      Delete