Wednesday, April 2, 2014

MPC Vostok Build, Part 9, Booster Mask


The four side boosters are white at the top and olive drab on the bottom. They weren't painted that way, the white is frozen condensation.

I wasn't looking for a very sharp mask line, the ice would make for an inconsistent color separation.
I used brown masking tape and didn't press the edge down.


The line wasn't clean. I had to "push" the olive drab back with the side of my knife.
Don't scrape the paint here, try to push the paint edge back where it snuck under the tape.
It'll look okay from 10 feet away on the launcher.
That is, if the C6-3 engine gets it high enough.
This thing will be heavy!

I'm not adding the chrome band at the half of the boosters. The way I feel about it now, it's not worth the extra effort!

Note: The second small rectangle above the open slot on the booster will be opened with a a knife.
You need both open squares to attach the larger flight fins.

No comments:

Post a Comment