Monday, November 27, 2017

Estes Star Speeder #1366 Build, Part 5, More Parts Prep

I'm still trying to get all the parts ready for the build. Some have to be made up like the large toothpick gun, others are fabricated from existing parts.

The kit has a single nose weight, what Estes once sold as #NCW-1A. It was a lead washer and weighed .12 0z.
You won't find a lead washer weight these days. I went through my supply of washers and found two when combined weighed .13 oz. Close enough!  

At the rear of the engine mount is a split 20/50 centering ring. You could probably order split rings from Semroc but it's easy enough to make with a sharp knife.

TIP: Make your split cuts like on the left away from the inside and outside seam joint. Don't make a cut over a wrap seam shown on the right.


Remove a wedge about 1/8" wide, a bit wider than the engine hook.
To clean up the cut you can sand the ends with a sanding block.

On the right is the finished split ring, ready for assembly.

2 comments:

  1. I used to buy small parts such as screw eyes, washers, and the like from the rocketry vendors. But I found there are cheaper, locally available alternatives:
    1. Washers, screw eyes, D-links and quick links are available at most local hardware stores, and with a larger selection of sizes.
    2. Snap swivels of various sizes can be found at local fishing supply stores.
    3. Clay for nose ballast can be found at arts and crafts or hobby stores. I prefer plasticene to regular modeling clay: no residue on your hands and doesn't dry out like regular clay. A good sized slug is way cheaper then several "butter pats" of the Estes variety.
    4. And if you are a real cheapskate, look for properly sized straws to replace launch lugs. Sturdy plastic, not paper.
    If you do a lot of scratch and clone builds, it makes a difference in the pocketbook. Laters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BAR,
      I do many of the things you've listed - I'm cheap! I haven't used paper straws for launch lugs but I have rolled a few from 65 lb. cardstock. I buy clay nose weight at the Dollar Store when I can find it. I saw where Estes is selling clay nose weight pats for an outrageous price! For my kits, I buy screw eyes at the hardware store or online, 100 at a time. I agree, you can certainly save a lot of money on builds once you find out where to get parts.

      Delete