Sunday, November 19, 2017

My Mother and Model Rocketry

My Mother passed away Friday morning, November 17.
Why bring her up on a rocketry blog? She played a very important part in my hobby.

In 1969, at the peak of the Space Race, I started building rockets. Not flying rockets, just building them.
Back then, California fireworks regulations were very strict. You could order and buy kits, but no engines could be mailed or purchased without a special state issued permit.

My Mother could see my interest and started making phone calls. A dozen calls were made to the state Fire Marshall in Sacramento.
She succeeded in contacting the right office and arranged a meeting to get approval of the family artichoke ranch property, 150 acres near Moss Landing, California.
A representative drove down from Sacramento, a 3 1/2 our drive. He was quick to approve our property and issued a permit. This wasn't just a permit to buy engines but turned out to be a wholesale engine buyers permit as well. I still remember his name, Robert "Moon" Mullins, he turned out to be the assistant state fire marshal of the state.

I still couldn't get engines by mail order. Mom took the time to drive me to a small hobby store in Modesto California, a 90 minute drive one way. I bought engines in the blue tubes and enough kits to keep me busy for a while.

Every Saturday we drove to the ranch, she'd connect the controller to her car battery. "Put a BIG engine in it. If you lose it, I'll buy you another kit". I hated to lose rockets but did take her up on the offer a few times.

In the early 1970s we took two vacations through the Southwest. On one trip she took my Sister and I to Estes Industries for a tour. I had some mail contact with Dane Boles, he was the Estes P.R. man at the time, handling some correspondence for the company.
At the end of the tour, Mom asked if Mr. Boles was in. He was and came down to meet us.
She spoke right up: "We drove all the way from California just to visit Estes!" (This wasn't true, she was doing a high end gallery tour, selling her pen and ink drawings.)
Dane Boles was impressed, saying: "Really? I'll be right back."
He came back with kits and a book of plans. He gave me a Citation Bomarc and a Mini-Brute Combo kit. I certainly thanked him adding: "I just bought the Mini-Brute kits are the company store." (I was trying to say that this wasn't really necessary.) His response: "Well now you have two!"

The following year Mom took us to Phoenix to visit the Centuri facility. Earlier that year I had won the Centuri Photo (Design) Contest. Mom let them know I was the winner, which probably got us a rare tour. Larry Brown was our guide.

A master horseperson, she helped my Sister raise and train championship Shetland ponies.
Also crack shot, she could take down a deer at 350 yards and was one of the few women at the roundups who'd castrate the bulls. "Don't mess with Pat!"
She is well known for her pen and ink drawings. (See above) Her work is on display and studied in technique classes at state colleges. "Fine art takes time." Her artistic example taught me patience.

She loved gambling, and was good at poker. Depending on how well she played, that dictated the caliber of the many shows we'd see in Reno, Lake Tahoe and Las Vegas. These influences helped develop my own solo performances as a professional entertainer over the next 40 years.

Am I proud? You bet! Without her determination and support I may have never launched a black powder model rocket. That, and you probably wouldn't be reading this blog!

27 comments:

  1. Dear Chris,
    My deepest condolences on your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,
    My deepest condolences for your loss. Children of the 60s are lucky we had mother and fathers who took the time to nurture our young skills. She sounded like a very talented and strong woman. We are lucky she tough you well. It shows in every blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers for your loss. Your mother sounds like an amazing woman and a true American original. Take care of yourself Mr. Michielssen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're so sorry to hear about your mom's passing, Chris. Claudia and my thoughts are with you. We know how close you were with her. If your need anything at all, please let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And thanks for the post, Chris. Your mom sounded like an amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for your loss, she sounds like an amazing woman, and was very supportive of you and your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear this. Moms are always the best of us. Obviously a very talented person, and it shows in your work as well.

    Philip

    ReplyDelete
  8. My sincere condolences on your loss. She sounds like an amazing woman and raised great kids.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sincere condolences to you and your family. She sounds like she was a wonderful person and a great role model.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She sounds wonderful. I'm very sorry about your loss. I'm glad you had such a great, supportive mom. That makes all the difference in the world.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry for your loss. She sounds like one great mom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very sorry for your loss. She sounds like a wonderful and caring mom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Praying for your mother and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm very sorry for your loss Chris. That was a great story and may all your good memories give you comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My sincerest condolences to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So very sorry for your loss, Chris and your family. Your mom was certainly a great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are great memories. Our thoughts and sympathies.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My deepest condolences to you and your family on the passing of your mother. Thanks for sharing the wonderful memories.

    Leo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Chris: You are in my thoughts my friend. Thank you for sharing your memories with us. Your mother was a amazing woman. If it helps, keep those memories. I still cherish the ones with Dad, who passed away in Feb. Those memories bring comfort. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, Chris,
    What a special lady you had for a Mom. Thank you for posting such an inspiring story. What great memories! So sorry for your loss. You ar in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm sorry for your loss, Chris!

    Am glad to see that you've had a long and loving life with her. Glad she so actively supported you in rocketry! Kindest Regards, AstronMike

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your tribute is deeply touching. I trust your fond memories will keep your mother close in spirit. Best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks to everybody for your comments. They all help in getting through our loss.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Chris - sorry to hear of your loss. My father also recently passed. He spent many a days fishing my rockets out of the trees on his property. Launch the Majestic with our family in his honor. Hope he caught it. Jim

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just stumbled here tonite via the attention deficit route, starting at the Little Lunar Express build. I'm glad you put this out there, and wish you didn't have to. Rockets and Mom, anchors to who we are. Hope your first Christmas without her let you revisit many fond memories.
    Hang in there. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Chris, I just read this, it’s almost a year after the posting. Your story about your mother is powerful. What an amazing person she was! It’s so very cool that she did so much to help you in getting started in the hobby. Also, her pen and ink drawing shown is just amazing. Thanks for sharing her story.

    ReplyDelete