Friday, November 10, 2017

Launch! Schoolyard, November 9, 2017

I haven't launched anything in a while. Burn bans and flooded launch fields have cancelled many club launches. This morning I walked over to the soccer field around 7 a.m. No wind, cool and clear skies - perfect. 

Here's the first launch of the Estes CURVLINEAR with an 18mm A8-3 engine. A little nose weight was added to put the C/G at the same location it had with the stock 13mm engine mount in place.
Arrow straight to about 175 feet. Full parachute and no damage at recovery.



Another test launch of the Odd'l Rockets F-104 STARFIGHTER  with an Estes A8-3. Stable and true to about 225 feet. No damage.
Test flights with larger engines will happen this weekend at the N.E.F.A.R. launch in Bunnell, FL.








Of all the dismal MPC rockets, this one is actually a favorite.
The RED GIANT was launched with a B6-4. I thought it was an Estes B but the loud boost and altitude reminded me it was a Quest B6-4. Altitude was an estimated 275'.
A lot of websites say to only use a C6-5 engine but this model is perfect for a smaller field with the B6-4.
I ran and caught it before it touched down.




The Estes SUPER ALPHA flew with an Estes B6-4 to about 225'.
After the Chinese made Quest B6-4, this wasn't as exciting. A textbook flight with no damage.






"Say goodbye to my leetle friend!"
Today was the sixth and last launch of my Estes MOSQUITO with a 1/4A3-3t engine. I saw it on the launcher and heard the ejection, but that was it!
These things have a habit of flying off in the opposite direction at ejection. Who knows where it landed. I searched the field for a few minutes then figured it was a sign that maybe the rocket herd should be thinned.



As I looked for the Mosquito I picked up some ejected crepe paper wadding. (I was looking for anything yellow.)
From the Super Alpha flight, here's how wadding should work -  a actual ejection "piston". On the right you can see the ejection charge side with a compression dimple in the middle, right above the engine. I could use this compressed wadding "wad" again in a BT-60 rocket.

Five up, four recovered, still a good start to the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment