Sunday, November 12, 2017

N.E.F.A.R. Launch, November 11, 2017

This weekend is the two day Bunnell Blast.
On the drive up we saw overcast skies and light rain. Winds were low but were increasing throughout the morning. I got in three launches before the wind got strong. Recovery walks were long.
Still plenty of flights and big crowds.

Today I launched the Estes CURVLINEAR with a Quest B6-4. The .16 oz. of nose weight was enough to compensate for the heavier B6-4 engine and gave a very stable flight.
The Chinese made Quest engine really gave a good ride to about 400'. Full chute at ejection and a long recovery walk because of the wind.




Even with wind gusts the two final test flights of the Odd'l Rockets F-104 STARFIGHTER were both arrow straight.

First was an Estes B6-4 to about 300'. The second good launch was with a C6-5 to and estimated 650'.

After being carried West by the wind, touchdown of the C6-5 flight was too close to the treeline. No damage.
I'll be able to bag up these kits soon!


Rick Boyette brought his impressive Chinese Long March rocket.
I was hoping to see the flight but he was saving it for Sunday hoping for lighter winds. 
This model will be powered by a cluster of five composite engines.



While I didn't get in many flights I did launch two rockets where stability might be questionable. The Curvilinear was converted to an 18mm engine mount to allow more engine choices. The new F-104 Starfighter was finally flown stable with the larger engine tank dowels using B and C engines. A very successful day.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the successful test flights. I'm sorry I wasn't there to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have come back today. You would have seen my Loc Patriot in its new form, a bon fire.

    ReplyDelete