Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Estes EAC VIPER #0820, BT-55 Upscale, Part 4, Cutting the Main Tube

I know - Some of you already know how to do many of the steps on a simpler build like this. There are new builders joining the blog everyday. If you are like me, you need to be reminded a few times to drive a point home. Just ask my ex-wife.

The original kit had a BT-50 tube that was 9 1/2" long. Multiply 9.5" by the scale factor of 1.36 and the upscale BT-55 tube should be cut at 12.92" long.
It's not difficult to cut a body tube and it should be part of your skillset.

Wrap a piece of cardstock around the tube at the 12.92" mark. trace around the top edge with a pencil.

Trace around that pencil line with a new, sharp knife blade. 
DON'T TRY TO CUT WITH A SINGLE PASS OF THE BLADE!
Using moderate pressure on the blade, you may have to go around the tube three times to cut through.




Chances are, the cut line will be a bit rough.

Simply square up the tube end with a sanding block with 220 grit sandpaper.

Check the edge by sliding in a nose cone. Look close at the tube end and the shoulder lip of the nose cone. Turn the nose cone, making sure the tube end is square.

7 comments:

  1. Tip for tube-cutting novices: When squaring up the tube on the sanding block, steadily rotate the tube in your hand as you go. This will help avoid inadvertently sanding a bevel on to the tube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Neil, thanks!
      I check for any bevel by inserting and rotating the nose cone or coupler.

      Delete
  2. I like to leave the cardstock in place as a guide while cutting the tube. make sure to use a piece of tape so the guide will not move and take light cuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      Good tip - I have done the same thing.

      Delete
  3. So, .92 is like 23/25 according to my favorite converter. My ruler doesn't have that mark. ;) Did you round it up to like 15/16? Or do you have some sort of decimal ruler or hack? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave,
      I have an Engineer Scale ruler, using the tenths of an inch side. It ends up very close, but not a perfect measurement.

      Delete
    2. Right! Dang, I used to have one of those somewhere. Not sure why. I'm going to have to dig around for it. Thanks!

      Delete