Monday, March 13, 2023

New Way N-21 Sky Fighter Build, Part 9, Canopy Forming

You are supplied with TWO canopies in the kit.
Great idea - you've got a backup in case the first try doesn't go well.

The fold lines are lightly laser cut, allowing sharp folds without having to emboss the lines.
First you fold the lines back with the lines facing you.
On the right side picture, I'm using my long tweezers to get a sharper fold near the tight tips.
The canopy is then flipped over and the folds reversed with the laser cut lines now on the inside.

On the right, I used my Sharpie pen burnisher to get sharper creases.

I was concerned the laser cut lines may have been too deep and the repeated folds might crack the cardstock. The laser lines are light and there was no cracking.


I used very little glue on the glue tab, just a wet, thin skin.
The glue tab was held closed with tweezers while the glue set up.

The formed canopy was set in position and the edges traced.
The glue area paint was scraped down inside the pencil line.





Again I used the Sharpie burnisher to press down the inside glue tabs onto the body tube.

4 comments:

  1. Curious, why did you wait to apply the canopy after painting the main tube?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Neil,
    My mistake! A little like forgetting to glue on a launch lug - then you don't notice it until you try to slide it down the launch rod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were just building the UCAV (unmanned combat aerial vehicle) version --- a cockpit canopy wouldn't be necessary. 😉

      Delete
    2. Yep, Naoto - That's the response I was searching for!

      Delete