Saturday, March 4, 2023

New Way N-21 Sky Fighter Build, Part 1, Parts

This will be a fun one - I've wanted to tackle this rocket since the first time I saw the design.


All the parts.
Some of the sub-assemblies were in separate zip bags.


Parts of interest:
A heat shrink tube that protects the Kevlar line near the engine mount.
Engine Hook retention rings
Square centering rings
A very smooth 3D printed nose cone
Sandpaper, emery board and Q-tips package.




In a small envelope were the laser cut cardstock canopy.
Two are included. A great idea - you get some card forming practice on the first canopy.

8 comments:

  1. I don't know how I feel about the 3D printed nosecone, in this case. I really liked shaping and smoothing the balsa ones. I can't wait to hear your thoughts. I'm looking for the Nike Ajax, myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Metal,
      I'm old school regarding balsa nose cones. But, the 3d resin print nose cones are now very smooth. You'll see in the build how little filling was done on the nose cone.

      Delete
  2. Your N-21 just got a new brother. https://www.erockets.biz/newway-flying-model-rocket-kit-n-22-night-storm-nwy-48/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mole,
      I did see that. Rick Randoll is coming up with some great designs and kits.

      Delete
  3. Got a good chuckle from the square version of "stars and bars" insignia as well as the "SQUARE FORCE" markings..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naoto,
      You get two sheets of decals in the kit. Coming up in the build, I did do a subtle change to the decals.

      Delete
  4. It is interesting that a number of recent fighter planes (e.g. F-22, F-35) when viewed from the front (especially the nose section) have somewhat of a diamond shape to them, so making a model rocekt based with square airframe tube sort of becomes "natural".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naoto,
      You're right. Over time, fighter jets have gone from round intakes to more rectangular shapes.

      Delete