Thursday, May 15, 2014

Fixing My Estes LED Electron Beam Controller Part 1

Normally, I might toss an old controller when it doesn't work anymore. I did want to hang on to this one.

This was a test controller, made up at Estes with the first LED continuity lights installed. It's a standard yellow Electron Beam style but the light was replaced with an LED. As far as I know, this style controller has not been released to the public. It was given to me by John Bishop who received a few from Estes for testing.

I'd used it for a few months now. I really like how bright the LED is, compared to the older style filament bulbs that were used since the 1960s. When the key is installed, there is no doubt when you have continuity, even in direct sunlight.




I'm always careful with strain relief when rolling up the red cable. You can see at the front end where the wire has frayed and separated.



Sure, you can change the batteries, but these controllers are not meant to be repaired!
All the wire connection points are covered and the plastic cover is glued down.

The two Phillips screws were removed and the back cover lifted off.
In the picture, I've forced a small screwdriver under a small notch at the end of the glued cover. This lifted up the back end.



The screwdriver head was walked down the edge to break the glue seal. Go slowly, the plastic is thin.







This is what you are trying to get at, the wire connection points on the left side of the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment