Saturday, May 24, 2014

New Nichrome



I finally ordered some bare nichrome from
www.jacobsonline.com

$6.00 for 100 feet! This is the 32 gauge.
And, no extra shipping charges!



Do the math - 
Cut off 3" for each igniter, that's 4 igniters per foot X 100 feet =
400 igniters for $6.00.
These bare nichrome igniters come out to $.015 each!

This 32 guage wire works fine with most launch controllers.
It does take a second to heat up and ignite the engine, just like in the old days.
These will work with MMX engines and other BP engines.
You just have to be sure the nichrome makes contact with the propellant.

4 comments:

  1. I agree about the price of igniters. I have found that dipping the wire in nail polish (nitrocellulose) helps. I also have a recipe for turbocharging them so that they can ignite anything all the way to a K impulse motor. Nitrocellulose+black powder=super ignitor with no delay.
    Love the blog and wish that I had the patience for finishing like you do.
    Best regards,
    Scot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Scot,
    If the new Estes Starter igniters don't do the trick, I might be dipping some nichrome soon! I did a blog post about the nail polish dip. It flares up a bit and should help ignition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forward to a report on the Nichrome igniters. I am holding off buying a spool of wire until I hear if you are happy with the 32 gauge. I am debating if I should get a thinner 36 gauge to solder between some lead wire for low current operation, or go for a sturdier 30 gauge, and haul out a big battery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eero,
      The 36 gauge feels too thin, the 32 seems about right, like what Estes used to supply with engines. I don't have any experience with the 30 gauge, I wanted something that would work with my standard Estes 6 volt controller.
      The current Estes standard igniters (or Starters) have stiff wire sides with a very thin bridge wire at the top.
      The 32 gauge igniters I've made and used feel floppy by comparison. They do work but remind me of old bare wire igniters in that they take an extra 1/2 second to ignite.
      Dipping the top bend in nitrocellulose nail polish does help. It's not as good as a BP pyrogen, but it does flame up.

      Delete