Thursday, April 16, 2015

Peter Alway Saturn IV Build, Part 12, Decals




Okay - With the TLP Pershing finished,
It's back to the Peter Alway Saturn IV!

Decals are needed and had to be drawn up.
These are a little like the Saturn 1B, the UNITED STATES is vertical down the white Redstone engine tubes.


Here's what I came up with. It all fits on a 1/4 sheet with plenty of extras just in case. Keeping custom decals on a quarter sheet lets me print up other decals on the remaining sheet with no waste.

If you've built the most recent Estes Saturn V, you know the "I" in UNITED was set off center to the left. It only took a few extra moments to center and correct it.





Here's the decal print.
As mentioned before, I save decal paper by printing on one quarter sheet of some kit decals.
Next up is three coats of Krylon acrylic clear gloss (the only time I use Krylon now is for clear coating decals)

Next, I've got to figure out the masks and spray the black!

2 comments:

  1. Wow--Actual decals? I just used whatever decals I could scrounge up! The decals on the nose were leftovers from 1/96 scale Apollo kit, and the USA/United States decals were leftovers either from old MPC kits or a Centuri parts assortment I found buried at a mom-and-pop hobby shop in the early 1980's. I can't remember where the round "window" decals came from--maybe black dots from an early 80's Estes kit

    --Peter Alway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter,
      Yep, actual decals.
      I save leftovers from old kits and use them when I can.
      After a few dozen tries, I've gotten pretty good at making the Bel paper decals. You've just got to print them like you would a photograph using a lot of ink.
      As you can see, I make extras. Home print decals can be dicey to apply and sometimes you need more than one.

      Delete