Sunday, April 12, 2015

TLP Pershing , Finished - For Now!















The model still needs the white vinyl U.S. ARMY on the upper section. That will be added after I figure out the font and where to get it cut locally.
When the "U.S. ARMY is placed, the card stock charge retainers are set on top of that.
I probably won't mess with all the "31" decals and others shown on the Estes sheet. As far as I'm concerned, it's done!

Don't tackle this one unless have a lot of building experience! Getting the three shrouds smooth took a lot of filling and sanding. The black Con-Tact vinyl strips added a little more strength to the underlying card stock in the long nose section.
This is an impressive model and as close as I'll probably ever get to an original Estes Pershing.
It's BIG, almost 40" tall! Finished (with parachute installed) the weight is 11.4 oz.
Old Estes catalogs list their Pershing kit at 11.5 ozs, The slightly larger Estes kit used a D12-3.
Starting engine for the TLP Pershing will be the Aerotech RMS E18-4.

7 comments:

  1. Awesome rocket. This series was so long, I had no idea what the finished product would look like. I find your level of craftsmanship intimidating, but something to aspire to.

    Congratulations on this build!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daniel!
      It was a LONG series of posts, but not as many as the Estes Saturn V.

      Delete
  2. Excellent looking rocket Chris! I am looking forward to hearing how it flies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim,
      I'm glad it is finished except for the U.S. ARMY lettering.
      I am nervous about the flight. It'll be my first composite engine since the Enerjets in the 1970s!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful. Masterful. Inspiring. Did it ever fly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeff,
      No, I've never launched it. It's one of those that'll get dinged up on landing. For now it's a shelf queen.

      Delete