Saturday, March 31, 2018

What Knot Is It?

In an earlier post I showed the knot tying diagrams from the New Way Firecat 4 kit.
I was a Boy Scout and tied my share of knots but that was years ago. I do remember the simple ones.

Some comments were trying to identify the shroud line attachment knot shown.


Scott Johnson wrote:
"That knot looks like a hitch. Kind of like a taut-line hitch. We use the taut-line hitch for tent lines."
I did a search online and found a step by step for the Tautline Knot, shown above.



I think Tim Burger has the right knot, the BUNT LINE HITCH. At first glance, both knots look the same.
It looks like the New Way rocket designers used this GIF (above) to draw their knot tying directions.
I don't care for this "hitch" style knot for shroud lines. When the long end is pulled the knot cinches and tightens. While the Tyvek is very strong I wouldn't want the line to cinch and bunch it up.

3 comments:

  1. A hitch works under tension, and when pulled against it uses friction to lock up. But it comes un-done very easily, which is why it’s used. Pulling Logs or tying one for a hammock (with a stopper knot) is perfect. They weitgh locks the hitch. A knot in those situations would lock so tight you could not undo them - not easily at least. But for a rocket, the knot is under tension .001% of it’s life. When handling the rocket a hitch could easily come loose and cause a parachute to fail. I prefer a bowline or double bowline knot for rockets. Nice and secure and it wont cinch down on the chute holes, but also not hard to untie if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, double check your figures and text, Tim Burger had the right knot. The blue image clearly matches the buntline hitch diagram. The tautline hitch is the red figure, with three loops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eero,
      You're right! Correction made. I went to a few different sources including a book on "Knots and Ropework" I keep handy for moments like this. I still got it wrong!

      Delete